Monday, July 26, 2010

And, thus, I begin my life as an entrepreneur.

Arts and crafts have always been my thing.  I've always loved to paint, draw, sculpt, bead, cut, photograph, stitch, create, build, form, and imagine.  I was a student at Greenville's Fine Arts Center for many years, and I even majored in Art History in college.  Go figure.  I have a family with strong creative tendencies, and many of them have also caught the entrepreneurial bug.  (It must be contagious.) Two of my aunts make beautiful jewelry, and I have always admired their work.  They have recently gotten into working with base metals, notably copper.  My aunt showed me how she had learned to etch copper with acid.  Consider my interests sparked!  I did a few test pieces at her house and I absolutely fell in love.  A light went off in my head that THIS is what I want to do. 

(Here is a little insight into what I do.)  I cut each piece from a sheet of copper.  I do this by hand, so everything isn't exactly perfect, but that's the beauty of something handcrafted.  I file and buff away the rough edges for a smooth finish.  Now comes the fun part; I get to draw my design!  (The first piece I did was my monogram.  After that, I've had endless ideas of designs and I'm struggling for my hand to keep up with my brain.  Such is the life of a creative genius. ;-) )  After the design is drawn, I etch the copper with acid so that the design stands out from the piece.  Once the piece is etched and cleaned, I apply the patina for an aged effect.  This really makes the design pop.  The piece is then coated with a thin layer of wax to seal it off from outside elements.  And, voila!

This blog will serve many functions:
  1. Humor you with the adventures (and sometimes woes) of my learning experiences with copper.
  2. Dazzle you with the amazing things I create.
  3. Serve as a sounding board for my friends/family/customers.  If you have ideas or suggestions, send them my way!
  4. A way to place orders.  Shoot me a comment, message, or email if you are interested in placing an order.  The possibilities are endless!
  5. And lastly, to keep everyone updated on My Southern Charm.
Thanks for taking the time to check everything out!
-Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment